Monday, August 5, 2013

book worms

 I have been productive in the studio the past weeks, the garden looks pretty good considering the summer weather has taken its toll on it, and the days are getting shorter again. In August I always notice  the change of summer and fall peaking through, even though it is still hot, the nights are longer, and the trees are already spitting their leaves. I love this time of year, I love late summer and fall. I am taking it in each day, trying to work a little in the studio and get some time outside too. Here are a couple of books that I have been reading lately... When I am not sewing or playing in the dirt. 


I have been reading a lot of books the past couple of months,  which is nice. For a while I seem to have been floating around looking for a great book and finally last fall I found this series, which I have written about before, that is a well written collection. They are the Inspector Gamache series by Louise Penny, and I have read seven of them so far. There is one more I just started and in late August the next one comes out. She writes beautifully describing things in such a way that you feel as if you are in the tiny village in Canada. It is always nice to find books that are written so well that you feel as if you have been transported to where ever they take place. I really recommend them, they are classic type mysteries but the is so much more to them than the average mystery.


After being stuck in the airport for two days I ran out of things to read and bought this. The Art Forager
by B.A. Shapiro, I finished it quickly, it is definitely a nice fast read. The book  is based on the Gardener museum art theft that occurred in 1991. It pulls from real life and makes a work of fiction. I love Degas artwork so reading about him was neat. Since one of my favorite movies is The Thomas Crown Affair this was a perfect summer read, it encased some of the elements that I enjoy about art thieves and the art world. 




No comments: