Thursday, June 7, 2007

vintage hankerchiefs and memories





This is one of the lingerie bags I made this afternoon. I posted some new things on Etsy too.

I had my day off today, I love having a day off where there are not errands, or lists of things to do on them. It means that I can play a little and then get to work in my studio. I love having time like that, unforced free time. As I get older and the responsiblities pile on, it is more and more precious to me. What I do with it, whom I spend it with, where I go... everything about it. Time is so strange, I think about it often. It passes so fast and yet there are moments that seem to take up eternitys. There is a quote that says 'we remember moments, not days' I suppose this is true. Moments are what make up all the time, the fragments of a second. It trickles by us, time, and before I know it the past summer ended, the trees turned every golden shade, bringing back memories of every past fall. Winter came with barely a drop of snow, and then spring rushed by, the tulips poped out of the ground, and faded and here we are June... I have lived alone almost a year. In this time, I have grown, and changed, made some mistakes and grasped onto some lessons. I have relized that there a handful of people that I want in my life forever, and others that I have parted with. Time....
Maybe it is my obsession with time that leads to my obsession of things from the past, the memories they hold, the stories they tell. How many times were these hankerchiefs pulled out of a neat handbag to dry a tear. The old sheets, ever thought about what happens on sheets, dreams and well... so much more. The sewing boxes, are almost like stories themselves the things that the women from the past stowed away in them. The letters and postcards, written testiments of time. All of these things declare a presence now holding with them the memories of their past moments.





This hankerchief shows what I mean by capturing a memory of a moment, I found it today while making my lingerie bags, It has a lipstick stain and a little dirt from a pocket.... how beautiful

No comments: