Monday, April 8, 2013

working away


This past month has been a whirl-wind, we went to Italy, then came back for a couple weeks and went away again to Arizona. A lot of traveling, which is always a nice adventure, but a little bit exhausting. While I was home, I had just enough time to catch my breath, and make a few little things to give as gifts. The long lasting winter and snow did help keep me in my studio, which I must admit is the ONLY nice thing about winter. 
I made these tea towels for my family for Easter, which were a quick fun project. I used some natural linen I had on hand and some Aneela Hooey fabric from her Posy collection. I love this sweet fabric and what better time than Easter to make some towels with bunnies and chicks on it. Not being very religious myself I enjoy the celebration of spring and new life that comes with Easter and this time of year. It is always very gratifying to make something in under two hours, instant gratification! 


I also made a quilt in the 3 weeks I was home, for a new baby that is to come. I wanted to deliver it in person in Arizona, so I was in a bit of a time crunch. I used the same pattern I used when I made my fall quilt, a simple block style. I hand quilted the whole piece which I knew would take some time, but I wanted to make it fun and interesting. So I used the lines in the fabric to make shapes and designs and bring out some of the patterns in the fabrics. (It is easier to see this in the bottom picture.) I also used different colors depending on the square I was quilting. It was fun using this orange, yellow color pallet, appropriate for a boy or girl and yet still looks appropriate for a child. 

the back
 
simple block style


As much as I love to travel, I must admit it is nice to come home. Especially filled with inspiration and new ideas to apply in the studio! 

No comments: