Tuesday, February 5, 2013

inspired


I have been wanting to watch this show for some time now, it took being sick last month to really begin watching Downton Abbey. It is such a beautifully made show with imagery, history and a great story line. After watching the first season I moved right into the second, and just this week broke down got the third season and have seen that too. It can be a bit addictive, the nice thing is there are only about 9 episodes each season with a couple special long ones.   


One of my favorite things to visually grasp in the show, is the clothing. It happens to be one of my favorite eras, clothes wise, and they have done a wonderful job making sure the costumes are perfect!


I have noticed they do use Liberty of London fabrics for some of the blouses and it is not only historically correct, it makes me want to pull mine out and start making more stuff with them, as well as buy some hats and dress up for dinner! 
With all of this Downton I have been watching, I have been inspired to begin stitching by hand, something that I have not done in a while. It has reminded me that stitching used to be "women's work"especially embroidery. I have been working on some cross stitch samplers, I really haven't made one of these in a long time,  and finished one already. It reminds me of how much I love all the colors in embroidery floss. I consider it half the fun in embroidery, all the choices!


I must admit I have also been looking at Liberty of London fabrics, even more than normal, due to seeing it on the show. I have an itch to stock up and make something with all Liberty... Trying to make myself use the ones I have before I do that though.... we will see how long that lasts! 
I must admit, it is nice to see a show that is so lovely visually, and the way it is written. 


No comments: