Wednesday, April 11, 2007

loops and hooks

Who knew that a skill that I learned at 7 or 8 years old would not serve me a purpose till now... I had put crocheting on the list of things I knew how to do but would never use... well things do change, last night I was sitting here figuring it all out again to teach a friend, and I found a calmness from the motions of hooking and looping and making. I am about 3 inches into a flower shape and it is looking good. I am not sure what I am going to do with this but I think a blanket seems like a good place to go. OH MY! could it be that I am making something utilitarian... shhhh don't tell my mother! She has been making utilitarian things from textiles since before I was even a thought, and she has always had a giggle at the fact that I went to school for four years to do something that I would not let her teach me. I come from a family of textile makers, one of my aunts is a weaver, the rest of them crochet or embroider or sew, and my mother can crochet, make white work anything, sew, embroider with the utmost perfection... and that is just the textiles, don't let me get started on what she can do with a pot or a plant. I do not think that I will ever make solely for utilitarian purposes, but I have to admit looping and hooking, is a great place to rest my mind at the end of the day.

"The key to life is not to have a job but to have a purpose." -a quote from today

No comments: