Monday, July 9, 2012

not missing, pulling it all together....

Hello there, I know its been a while since I last posted. However in my brain I have constantly been writing this post for about a month now... The time has come, where I finally made the jump from makeup artist full time, and artist "when I have time", to ARTIST full time, and makeup artist a few hours a week! Yes, what I am trying to say is that I have gone part time at work so that I can spend more time in the studio. It is always hard to give up a steady paycheck and instead move on, relying on my own ways of creating a new income. I think that is one of the main reasons that so many artists abandon what they love so that they do not have to be "a poor starving artist." I was never comfortable with that notion of not being able to travel and doing things I enjoy so I made a compromise, makeup artist. It is something I love and the truth is it has allowed me to stay creative and I get to play with color everyday. However for the past 2 years I have had an itch to get going, make stuff, get on things again! So here I am embarking on this new journey, it means building up this blog, being faithful to being consistent, making all the time and accepting that sometimes things will turn out better than others. Posting on etsy, entering shows, and making what I want to make with knowledge that not everyone will like everything. I am thankful that I have a partner that has embraced all the crazy ideas I have and believes in me enough to support this change in my life. It is maybe the best gift, the gift of doing what my passion is. 


I have spent a lot of my time while making questioning why I make certain things and not others.... why even make something, that could be bought or mass produced. Time after time the answer changes but there is one answer that remains the same in everything that I do. It is important to me to use traditional textiles and textiles techniques in a new way, it is important for me to make "traditional women's work," from a modern point of view. In college I would have thought it un-necessary to make something utilitarian, sure I made things every once in awhile for fun, but certainly not as my main work. While I still hold some artwork to a more "serious" level, where I want it to have meaning and depth. I now understand the beauty in a well designed quilt or everyday towel. Those objects have always lured me, especially if they are from the era of  the 1920's-1960's. Now I appreciate designing and making them myself, putting a twist on the traditional patterns and designs with a modern color or fabric. These are the things that are passed down, textiles hold memories and stories and that is an important part of my work, it always has been. So that is where I will begin my journey into the full-time creative world again. Everything is still a bit unclear, I am not sure where this road will lead, but I go in confidence that I will get there if I just do what I do and create everyday. 






No comments: